The Design Division performs system-level development of various type reactor plants and their main components, develops design documentation.
Design divisions perform:
- Development and multi-optional optimization of design solutions;
- Computational analysis and justification of design solutions, characteristics and modes of operation;
- Analysis and generalization of the running plants operating experience;
- Field supervision of manufacture, installation and operation of the developed products;
- Development and implementation of IT in the enterprise management processes.
Main departments of design division:
Development of NSSS components` layout and flow scheme
Development of reactor and reactor core mechanical designs
Development of basic equipment:
- Circulating pumps
- Heat exchangers
- Steam generators
- Control and protection system actuators
Development of fuel handling and process equipment
The Design Division is a big team of highly qualified experts: designers, mechanical engineers, physicists, heating engineers, metallurgists, electronic engineers, technologists, programmers. They widely use modern computers and efficient software including three-dimensional CAD-systems, which ensure the development of complex engineering systems and equipment with optimization of design solutions and thorough justification of operating parameters, characteristics and modes.
The Division for Design Scientific and Technical Validation (DSTV) fulfills thorough analysis and scientific and technical validation of reliability and safety of the reactor plant at all stages of its life cycle.
The tasks of Design Scientific and Technical Validation Department include:
analysis and justification of neutronic characteristics, design and configuration of cores, efficiency of reactivity control elements and systems, means of neutron control and nuclear safety conditions, development of programs and support of physical tests of cores at test facilities and operating reactors;
analysis of thermal physical and thermal mechanical processes, analysis of strength and lifetime of FAs and cores in normal and emergency modes, optimization and justification of design solutions and measures aimed at increasing technical and economic indices;
analysis and justification of radiation protection under normal operating conditions and during accidents, analysis of radiation doses during RP operation and handling of radioactive sources, analysis of radiation accident consequences including a postulated severe accident with fuel melting, analysis and justification of confinement systems efficiency, justification of nuclear power facilities location;
analysis of thermal hydraulics of RP equipment and systems in static, dynamic, and emergency modes, justification of design solutions for pumping and heat-exchanging equipment, normal operation systems and safety systems, elaboration of requirements for the scope and methods of RP systems testing at the test rigs and facilities; elaboration of recommendations to optimize the designs in terms of thermal hydraulics, thermal cycling and heat removal channels efficiency;
analysis of RP dynamics in the modes of normal maneuvering, in case of equipment failure and trip, under DBA and BDBA conditions, justification of RP automatic control algorithms, elaboration of requirements for automation systems, related systems and the facility at large, support of automation system development and testing, development of RP computer simulators and virtual power units;
strength analysis and justification for components of RP equipment and systems, elaboration of recommendations for the design improvement to ensure the strength and requirements for inspection and testing methods. Analysis of structure behavior under thermal-cyclic, radiation and dynamic impacts;
analysis and justification of lifetime characteristics of RP equipment and systems, including beyond the assigned parameters, elaboration of methods for predicting their residual life;
analysis of processes in reactor and containment during the primary coolant system depressurization accidents, analytical justification of RP safety and emergency core cooling system design and efficiency;
optimization of structural elements of RP systems and equipment by testing the models, study of peculiarities of heat-and-mass exchange processes on the models of RP equipment units, creation of a database for verification of 3D thermohydraulic and mechanical codes.
The Design Scientific and Technical Validation Department makes wide use of computer codes. Most of the codes were developed in JSC “Afrikantov OKBM”, verified based on a vast database comprising test facility and full-scale testing data as well as operation data, and qualified compliant with the safety regulations concerning parameters of reactor plants under development.
Nowadays, one of the key factors for preserving and strengthening the company’s competitiveness is a wide use of numerical experiment technologies based on a integrated use of programs for 3D thermohydraulic analysis (Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)) and computation of temperature and stress-strain state of structures (Finite Element Analysis (FEA)) on the Super Computer. In a number of cases, the use of technologies makes it possible to replace a full-scale experiment with a numerical one. This provides a unique possibility to study the actual structures at full-scale medium parameters and obtain full and representative information on all physical processes that are going on. This way the increase in the design work quality is achieved while the time and cost of work is reduced.
In engineering practice, industry-specific best-estimate codes are increasingly used. The calculations by the best foreign codes have been mastered and are widely used as alternative calculations to analyze the neutronics, radiation protection, mechanics, thermal hydraulics and safety.
Based on the accumulated experience, JSC “Afrikantov OKBM” is developing a technology for creating NPP digital twins. This technology makes it possible to support products at all life cycle stages and solve the following tasks:
- validate NPP operation modes;
- support the RP design development and optimization process;
- check the NPP equipment configuration and characteristics;
- check the integrity and sufficiency of the control algorithms;
- chose and optimize control actions (modes);
- provide personnel training.
The production facilities of JSC "Afrikantov OKBM" are provided with modern manufacturing equipment to ensure production of prototypes of the equipment under development, test facilities, individual types of equipmentfor the Russian fleet, nuclear power industry and non-nuclear general-purpose equipment.
The total area of production facilities equals 24764 m2, the manpower is over 900 workers. There are more than 530 units of technological equipment including 270 metal cutting machines, 20 press-forging plants, over 40 welding plants, over 30 units of heating and molding equipment.
- plasma-arc and gas-plasma cutting of sheet blanks of stainless steel (thickness under 150 mm) and carbon steel (thickness under 200 mm):
- bending of sheets up to 50 mm thick;
- molding of blanks and intricate shapes of
stainless-steel, heat-resistant steel, special alloys and bronze;
- cutting of blanks from rolled stock and forgings up to 800 mm in diameter on the belt-cutting machines.
- machining of articles up to 6.3 m in diameter and 10m long on multi-purpose metal-working machines;
- high-performance machining on lathes, vertical mills, turning/milling centers and NC machines;
- fabrication of high-precision shapes on the spark-erosion wire-cutting and laser equipment;
- fabrication of electric motor stators with a complex of electric engineering activities;
- fabrication of electronic and electric equipment for industrial purposes;
- long-hole drilling and boring of holes up to 250 mm in diameter and 4000 mm long;
- fabrication of industrial rubber articles;
- fabrication of gear wheels, gear shafts, and worm couples
- hermal treatment of parts and blanks in vacuum and protective gas atmosphere;
- thermochemical treatment of parts: cementation, nitriding, aluminizing and chromizing with subsequent nitridation;
- deposition of chemical coatings on metallic articles: phosphatizing, oxydation, galvanization, anodic treatment, silver plating, chemical
passivization, chromium-wurtzite coating.
- manual arc welding with coated electrodes;
- automatic and manual arc welding;
- semiautomatic and automatic submerged-arc welding;
- electron beam welding;
- contact welding;
- manual electric-arc deposition of sealing surfaces on valves;
- vacuum soldering with silver-containing solders, soldering of Kovar to ceramics in a hydrogen environment.
- assembly of heavy-weight equipment (up to 100 t) at special sections, on beds and building berths, providing high cleanliness of inner cavities.
- non-destructive testing of welded joints and metal by physical methods (ultrasonic, radiation, capillary);
- analysis of chemical composition and mechanical properties of materials, including intercrystalline corrosion tests;
- hydraulic strength tests under pressure as high as 60 MPa;
- vacuum tests for leak-tightness.
The ongoing production complex restructuring and modernization program stipulates mastering
of new modern technologies, procurement of high-precision high-performance process equipment, introduction of modern inspection tools, and establishment of new production sectors.
The Scientific Research and Testing Complex (SRTC) is equipped with state-or-the-art experimental facilities and research installations and provides experimental investigations of neutronic, thermohydraulic, mechanical and lifetime characteristics, as well as representative tests, of the equipment under development.
Experimental facilities in the SRTC can be used for testing nuclear reactor core elements, high-pressure vessels, wide range of heat exchanging equipment including steam generators with steam parameters of up to 550 ºC and 16 MPa, pumps with the capacity of up to 20000 m3/h, gas circulators, all kinds of pipe valves, precise electromechanical equipment, actuators, manipulators and other mechanisms for nuclear power and other branches of industry.
- control rod drives and fuel handling complexes;
- valves and safety devices;
- circulating pumps, related friction units and shaft seals;
- heat exchangers and steam generators.
- neutronic characteristics;
- reactor core and steam generators thermal physics;
- physical and chemical processes in NPP circuits;
- static and dynamic strength of constructions;
- diagnostics of machinery and structures.
The RTC also incorporates:
The State Atomic Energy Corporation “Rosatom” issued an accreditation certificate No. ОИАЭ.RU.109ИЛ(ИЦ) dated April 4, 2019 granting JSC “Afrikantov OKBM” the right to conduct activities aimed at verifying the conformity of the products shall comply with requirements for safety assurance in the field of atomic energy use.